Over the first half of the semester I have learned the song “Watermelon Sugar” by Harry Styles. Since my last blog post I have continued to work on the chord change between G and D minor, my posture and tempo. I am happy to say that the chord changes have become a lot smoother and I often find myself not looking at the strings when I play. As far as posture, I gave started playing standing up. This has made it a lot easier to hold the ukulele at my chest and not drop it. I really struggled with the keeping the base or the neck up (depended on the day which one) for a majority of my learning. I am not sure what changed but two weeks ago something clicked and I could suddenly do it. Also changing the way I strum helped significantly. I was strumming with all of my finger but in the fast up strokes some fingers would fall behind and their would be random extra added plucking sounds mixed into the overall strum. By strumming with just my pointer finger I have eliminated this issue and it made it overall easier to strum.

In regards to my musicianship goals I feel that I have met them all. I have become much more comfortable with tuning using an app on my phone, I have the correct hand and body posture and my finger placement on the chords is consistently good. I am having fewer and fewer “off” sounding chords which makes me know that these four things are working together to produce a satisfying sound.

Video of me playing “Watermelon Sugar” by Harry Styles