Rebecca Bathurst-Hunt talked about how she has implemented inquiry into her kindergarten

classroom. Stepping into her classroom I was immediatly in love with it. She utilized many natural materials, a neutral palette and kept a clean/ natural aesthetic throughout the whole class. There were really interesting and inspiring toys and manipulatives scattered throughout the class that allowed for such an inspired and imaginative play. The setting itself oozed inquiry.

Within her speech she talked about her “teacher heart” and the aspects that made it up. Through this she explained the key elements that were important to her and her classroom that she continually fell back on as she built her practice. I really liked this idea. She continued by explaining the inquiry steps starting with a guided inquiry and ending in free inquiry. She breaks the school year into trimesters and has a different level of inquiry with a different topic in each term. This instantly reminded me of my elementary school where we utilized a Scottish style of teaching called Storyline. I actually did my free inquiry project on it last term. Within this we had three different topics of inquiry throughout the year. It was always a decided topic such as a point in history or a book. Topic wise it stayed within guided inquiry but in the things that we did there were many sources of free inquiry.

I like the idea of inquiry especially in kindergarten as they are naturally in a very inquisitive stage of their life. It felt like it molded seamlessly with the curriculum and their abilities. I will definitely try to implement parts of it in my classroom and will try to make my classroom look as beautiful as hers.