Over reading break I knew that I had to set a fitness goal for myself or I would not workout. After all it was break, which often leads to lots of sleep and movies. Being home I was back at my familiar gym and took the opportunity to workout with my dad. He is very passionate about fitness and mostly trains in HIIT Circuit training. He as been doing it for so long now that he will create circuits around what he feels like doing that day. The basic idea is there are 10 exercises. Each is performed for 30 seconds with a 15 second break in-between each exercise. That circuit is repeated 2-3 times.

The first workout consisted of an ab circuit (done twice) and a full body strengthening circuit (done twice), with stretching at the end. It included things like medicine ball slams, squat pulses, reverse lunges press and plank step throughs (I do not think this is the correct name for all of these things but it is what my dad calls them).

My second workout consisted of the same ab circuit (done twice) and then a mixed strengthening and cardio circuit (done twice). This one was a lot harder for me as I was  a bit sore from the previous workout and my cardio is not super strong. The great thing about my Fiton exploration was the diversity in types of exercise but a lot of it was pilates and yoga based and not heavy in cardio. Because of that I struggled more in this workout.

My third workout was following a IGTV video workout made by a fitness and nutrition You-tuber/ influencer that I watch called “Sarah’s Day”.  I was really not feeling the gym that day so I turned to her as my inspiration and it worked. She always has a positive outlook on the gym and has been a great inspiration over the last few years to try to be more conscious of my diet and exercise. This workout was in a similar style that my dad likes so he did it with me as well as my sister and mom. This workout was an all body weight based HIIT Circuit session. It consisted of 2 circuits. Each one had 4 exercises done for 30 seconds back to back with 1 minute of rest after the 4 were complete. Each 4 exercises were completed 3 times before moving onto the next circuit. Its hard to explain but makes sense when you are doing it!

All in all I do like working out in this way. It is an effective mode as I can both strengthen and perform cardio at the same time. It is what I did this summer and it was the strongest I had felt since by swim team days in high school. I was able to do things by the end of the summer that I has seen fitness influencer do that I never thought I would be able to do. I also really liked having a workout partner. Thus far in my Fiton workouts I have been doing them by myself. It is harder to motivate myself to do something and there is less accountability when it is just up to me. Also training with my dad kinda feels like having a personal trainer because he is so much more knowledgeable in the area of fitness.