Individual Blog Post #3

How can you ensure equitable access to authentic, meaningful & relevant learning environments for all learners in K-12 open and distributed learning contexts? What did you already know, what do you know now based on the course readings and activities, what do you hope to learn?

The environment is integral for cultivating an equitable learning experience that allows for meaningful and relevant learning to occur. Whether it is in a distributed or open learning environment there are techniques like the Universal Design For Learning (UDL), ways to accommodate and promote learning in the Indigenous communities, and considerations for online learning to cultivate an equitable and impactful online experience. 

UDL was developed by Cast 20 years ago and is a ”… framework for guiding educational practice that-(A) provides flexibility” in information presentation, “in the ways students respond or demonstrate knowledge and skills, and in the ways, students are engaged; and (B) reduces barriers in instruction, provides appropriate accommodations, supports, and challenges, and maintains high achievement expectations for all students including students with disabilities” and ELL students (Basham et al., 2018, p.477-478). Through three principles of “Multiple means of engagement, multiple means of action and expression and multiple means of representation” educators create an environment that allows any student to thrive in their environment with “variability being the norm rather than the exception” (Basham et al., 2018, p.480). The UDL website has a chart that outlines the nine subsequent guidelines with examples to help guide teachers. UDL can be implemented in a face-to-face or an online environment as online “offers unique affordances for supporting and extending UDL aligned implementation practices” (Basham et al., 2018, p.477). Some tools allow for individualized education that goes hand in hand with online or open learning networks. In “both blended and full-time virtual settings” it was found that UDL based practice “improved both learner satisfaction and learning outcomes” (Basham et al. 2018, p.489). There has been research on parts of UDL, but more must be done to prove its entirety. 

In an article by Kral & Schwab (2012), the eight principles to create an effective learning space for Indigenous learners of every age are explored (p.58):  

1. Space young people can control 
  2. A space for hangout out and mucking around
  3. Space where learners learn 
  4. A space to grow into new roles and responsibilities 
  5. A space to practice oral and written language 
  6. A Space to express self and cultural identity through multimodal forms 
  7. A space to develop and engage in enterprise 
  8. A space to engage with the world. 

Overall it expressed the need for open learning resources, safe spaces to learn like libraries or cultural centers, providing autonomy over learning, providing schedules ahead of time, guiding enterprise experiences, and bridging the gap between elders and the young through technology and the arts to maintain cultural identity all while stepping into an often unwelcoming world. By acknowledging and implementing these ideas in an online and, especially, open learning environment, educators will better engage, support, and educate Indigenous communities. 

Finally, Selwyn (2020) explains how in the Covid-19 world educators have to consider data privacy, nurture greater online relationships, cultivate different online setting for different learners, be flexible and asynchronous, have heightened empathy for students, and recognize how taxing online learning is and that it is a new learning experience for students too.  

I hope to understand how to make sure student engagement is still high in a more asynchronous learning style?

Resources

Basham, J.D., Blackorby, J., Stahl, S. & Zhang, L. (2018) Universal Design for Learning Because Students are (the) Variable. In R. Ferdig & K. Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 477-507). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.

Kral, I. & Schwab, R.G. (2012). Chapter 4: Design Principles for Indigenous Learning Spaces. Safe Learning Spaces. Youth, Literacy and New Media in Remote Indigenous Australia. ANU Press. http://doi.org/10.22459/LS.08.2012 Retrieved from:   http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p197731/pdf/ch041.pdf

Selwyn. N. (2020). Online learning: Rethinking teachers’ ‘digital competence’ in light of COVID-19.[Weblog]. Retrieved from: https://lens.monash.edu/@education/2020/04/30/1380217/online-learning-rethinking-teachers-digital-competence-in-light-of-covid-19

CAST (2018). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.2. Retrieved from http://udlguidelines.cast.org

Previous

Topic 2 Blog Post

Next

Assignment 3-ePortfolio

1. sarahbjelde

Hey there Lauren! I enjoy the way that you summarized and mashed up all three of the required readings this week in your opening paragraph while emphasizing the importance of the learning environment for learner equity. Something to think about: your second paragraph is quite long and has lots of quotes and in-text citations—I love all the amazing information but it is quite busy for my eyes as a reader. You could perhaps split the paragraph into two separate ones which may help the visual aesthetic. I would also suggest trying out embedding your videos in two separate places rather than back to back because seeing them together seems like it chops up your whole blog post to me as a viewer. Anyway, I always love it when you end your posts with a question—this week you inspired me to do the same! I also am curious about student motivation/engagement in an asynchronous setting. Way to go!

2. alexamclean

Feedback for EDCI 339:
    This post was jam-packed with research knowledge. I think you have some great ideas and connections from all three articles. I do agree with sarahbjelde that the second paragraph was a bit confusing. I would work on paraphrasing rather than quoting. Pick your favourite quote or two and paraphrase the rest, this will make it easier to read. I liked all the videos that you added throughout to further clarify some key points. Overall, you had lost of good information but I think you just need to have more independent and paraphrased thoughts throughout.

3. hgus123

EDCI 339 Feedback:
    Fantastic blog post this week Lauren! I loved how you clearly defined the UDL framework and creating a flexible environment for all types of learners. I also loved the videos that you linked to UDL (I used the same one in my blog!). I think you have a great balance of text-to-images in this blog post. I also liked how your last video links directly to indigenous views in BC and connects perfectly to the Kral & Schwab reading. Perhaps one way you could improve this post (while I already think it is very solid) is by maybe connecting the Kral and Schwab article to the Selwyn article as I would love to hear how you view the pandemic situation and its impact on smaller, rural communities where students may not have access to technology. Good job!