Beginning of the Week:

This week I have started my four week program through the Fiton app. This is an app that creates a fitness plan that is tailored to your wants and needs. The app begins by asking your name, gender, height and weight. It continues by asking what your fitness goals are by prompting you with a list that ranges from “increase activity level” to “prenatal and postnatal fitness”. It continues by asking how many times a week you will excersice, how long you want your workouts to be, what types of workouts you enjoy (there is a list to choose from) and how long you want the challenge to go for ( 4, 8 or 12 weeks). I signed up for a four week program with workouts for 30 minutes three times a week. I am going to try this for the first week and may adjust as I start the process.

My initial reaction to the app is really positive. It is an easy to maneuver app that takes the stress of finding workouts out of the picture. It feels like an attainable goal that can be switched as need be as well. All of the workouts seem to be able to be done at home with little to no equipment which is an attractive part of the app as sometimes it’s the getting to the gym that is the issue. My final initial reaction is that it is all free! There is an option for a Pro version, but it seems that the free version is all that I will need at the moment.

End of the Week:

So far the things that have stood out as draw backs are a few prompts to follow Fiton on Instagram, having to rate the workout out at the end every workout, the meal plan aspect costing money and the selected workout time not being stuck too. Rating the workout is the least of my worries as it in theory will help make the experience better, but it is a bit of a nuisance. The meal plan was something that I got really excited about. It let me select all of the different specifications of my diet, then curated a meal plan with recipes. Unfortunately, when you click on the individual meal recipes it says that it requires upgrading to pro to access them. This comes at a small fee of $1.67 / month which is a good deal, but not a place I want to be spending money at the moment. All the recipes looked really yummy, with ideas from breakfast to dessert. Finally the timing of each workout. I selected the 30-40 minute workout period and most of my workouts are between 15 and 30 minutes in the first week. This system may curate a better outcome if my fitness goal would have been different, like “build muscle” rather than “be more active”, but I could not be certain. Overall this week I did one 26 minute “Full body Sweat and Sculpt”, one 15 minute “Get Stretchy” yoga class and an 18 minute “Arms and Thighs” class. Each class had a video teaching you the entire time, told you a rough estimate of calories burned and required very few pieces of equipment.

One thing that I liked about it was it was very encouraging. From the instructors on the videos constantly vocalizing encouragement to the different quotes that pop up when you open the app. It fostered a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment as I was bettering my self. Also there is a nightly 5 minute stretch and relax class, other classes that can be taken at any time and scheduled classes each day that anyone can join that creates a community within the app. These can added in addition to the program curated for you. This could be a way to get more of a workout if that feels needed. These are all in categories of their own such as yoga, at the office, before bed and toning.

On this page it also provides an area to join the 2020 challenge, gives lists of video classes that are organized by targeting a certain area such as arms or legs, a list of classes organized based on low, medium or high intensity, and finally bios of each of the trainers.

So far I am really enjoying the app. It takes the stress of making the workouts and allows me to workout at home which is a big plus in my book.